A business survives because of the employees and employees earn because of the business. It’s a parallel relationship.
If you own a business, whether big or small, keeping your employees happy is the investment that guarantees you the highest ROI (return on investment).
It has been seen that many business owners behave with their employees like they own them and expect so much from them while giving too little. And it also applies to the employees too.
But today, the writing protagonist is on the employee’s side.
Every business requires employees to make it big. But not all business owners understand that employee satisfaction is crucial for the betterment of the business. A happy employee can put in his/her best of the best and will reap the benefits.
Now, many think that paying salary for the work is all that the business owes to employees. Well, salary is the most important aspect but not the only one. If it would have been so, why would the world’s technology giant Google create playing areas in their offices around the world?
Any business or brand which is known to many have the efforts of happy employees behind it. And the happiness comes from different perks and gestures made by the business for the employees, apart from the salary.
If you are a business owner, here are a few things you can do (as per your budget) to keep your employees happy:
- Another monetary benefit apart from the salary; pay bonus if the business makes a decent profit.
- I personally believe that there should be no dress-code unless or until required. An employee should be free to wear even pyjamas on the work as it will make him/her feel comfortable; leading example, Mark Zuckerberg!
- Have indoor plants in the office! It will keep the employees relaxed and focused.
- Understanding the concerns of employees on personal-note whenever required. Don’t always be professional.
- Celebrate the birthdays of the employees! Even surprising them with a greeting card can make a big impact.
- Present gifts on festivals like Diwali, Holi, and Christmas.
- Add menstrual leaves for women in HR policy.
- As stated earlier, have some space for playing area in office premises if possible. It will keep employees happy and stress-free.
- Provide health insurance to the employees.
- Have parties or fun sessions from time to time.
- Make business transparent to the employees. Let them know about the orders you received and the losses you made.
- Just like you scold employees for the mistakes, start appreciating them for the good work they do.
- Keep candies or chocolates for free for the employees. And for their health, place a tag which says ‘Treat yourself in limit’.
- Encourage your employees to keep drinking water while on work. It will keep them high on energy, and they will feel that business cares for them.
When you keep your employees happy, you will witness higher productivity. And you won’t lose the talents that you have hired.